Wednesday 2 September 2009

Some random musings...

I arrived back home safely today from vacation in Florida. Loved every minute of it, especially the opportunity to load up my suitcase with anything I could find with a Seahawks logo on it. Despite warnings about one piece of hand luggage per person scattered around the airport, I somehow managed to smuggle three bags onto the plane, including a packaged Seahawks football I found in a store on International Drive.

Here's a few random thoughts I'm having at the moment, let me know what you think...

- Am I the only person who doesn't think the Giants are playoff bound? Everything I've seen or heard recently has them as a post season shoe in. For me I see a franchise that lost an influential defensive coordinator, an offense that lost it's main receiving threat, a quarterback who just got paid and a stud defensive end who won't practise because he doesn't like the new DC. Not to mention the fact New York competes in the stacked NFC East.

- Why have the Eagles signed Michael Vick? Is he a long term replacement for McNabb? If not, surely his presence is only going to be disruptive? It's hard not to admire every other move the Eagles have made this post season (aside from allowing Brian Dawkins to leave) but the Vick move just doesn't make sense. Is it really worth the gamble for a couple of wildcat plays per week?

- The Buccaneers are my early tip to own the first overall pick next year. They can't protect the passer which means Josh Freeman is unlikely to be thrown to the wolves. They have precious little weapons on offense anyway and seem to be rebuilding the defense too. I saw their pre-season game against Miami and it was pretty ugly. With investment in a young signal caller already in place, if they did own the No1 pick next year I think a stud d-lineman like Ndamukong Suh would be just the ticket.

- With regard to the Seahawks - I'm afraid I can't offer much insight. None of their games were televised in Florida so I've only seen restricted highlights. From a stat sheet point of view obviously Nick Reed's efforts stand out. He found ways to make plays for Oregon and he seems to have carried that on in Seattle's pre-season. Can he do it in the NFL against much bigger, more athletic lineman? Who knows, but he has to make the roster surely?

- I'm officially excited about the new college football season. I used the flight home to study up with a few magazines, looking at the recruit reports and who is expected to make an impact this year. But being based in Florida has a strange effect on you. I officially caught Tebow-itis and now I can't wait to follow what will likely the biggest soap opera surrounding the 2010 draft. Is he a first round pick? Will he fall into the mid rounds? Can he adjust his mechanics this year and prove he is more pro-friendly? Does he even have to change his game? Get ready because as soon as the college season kicks off, we're going to need our own news channel to keep up with Tebow's draft stock.

- Finally, many thanks to IHOP for the introduction of their new NFL 'playbook' menu this week. A perfect send off before my flight home.

7 comments:

NW Pride said...

Very tasteless post Anonymous. If you dont like this blog or the opinions, then dont read it.

Great post Rob. I bet a ton of people will call me crazy, but I see Inday slipping as well. They lost their head coach, B. Sanders is hurt, Peyton already lashed out a bit at the organization, and M. Harris is gone. I feel this year will be a mediocre year until the transition gets them all accustomed to the new situation.

I have mixed feelings about the Hawks. Yeah, they are 3-0 thus far in the pre-season, but its been the weak AFC we have been playing. Mora though has admitted he hasnt busted out the big guns yet, and once the season starts we will see a lot more unique plays. I think we are going to be fine. We have a grip of leadership on the team, and I just cant see our health issues that we had last year happening again. Plus, everybody has the Cardinals number. One game at a time, and play smart, with less penalties, and we should be okay. Cant wait, and lets go Hawks.

boyda0809 said...

Welcome Back Rob

I agree with the Vick in Pilly comment. It seemed as though they were set on offence anyway and his addition instead of diversifying the offence will dilute it's effectiveness.

Lucky for us the Bronco’s seem intent on challenging for the No1 pick!

Patrick said...

Welcome back Rob! I have to admit it's incredibly weird hearing someone else on this blog mention "International Drive" lol I couldn't agree with you more about the Buccaneers! Just today they fired their offensive coordinator! My prediction for that #1 pick is between the Bucs and the Browns.

On another note, Sports Illustrated's predictions just came out. They have Seattle winning the NFC West with a 9-7 record but then losing in the wildcard to the Vikings. They have Denver going 5-11 which sounds so exciting!! It must be something about Florida because I have Tebow-itis as well.

Rob Staton said...

If anyone would like to compete in a fantasy football league, I'm currently in a league with a few spots to fill. If interested, email me at rob@seahawksdraftblog.com

Anonymous said...

Rob, great to have you back, couldn't agree more about the Giants. Their D will propel them to some victories, but I see them with an average record in the end. Hard to say who wins the top 5 picks next April, but I'd say the Browns and Bucs are locks, and the Chiefs, Rams and Raiders will all be there as well. Denver could still implode as well and take the ring. I'm feeling good about the Hawks as long as Hasselbeck is healthy. With him they get 9-10 wins, without him 6-8. I see Edge as merely cheap insurance against Jones getting hurt. Wouldn't be surprised to see the Hawks pickup another rookie RB after Saturdays cuts, even if just for the practice squad. Someone bigger than Moore.

boyda0809 said...

Cheers for the fantasy league plug Rob!

I like the Edge signing but think it's almost panic action. If we don't know the future at OL and RB this time next year I'll be very disappointed.

Rob Staton said...

The Giants just lost Jay Alford for the season - another big blow.