Friday 27 November 2009

Earl Thomas has potential

I'm currently in a hotel on the south coast so I can't go into too much detail, but before I left home this morning I was able to quickly scan over Thursday's Texas victory over Texas A&M. Earl Thomas (S, Texas) is a red shirt sophomore who could be about to gate crash the Taylor Mays/Eric Berry party. I've made no secret of my disappointment with both Mays and Berry this year - neither has done enough to justify their high praise. Last night Thomas looked like a better tackler than Berry, but appears to have greater instincts than Mays. He recorded his eighth interception of the season last night and generally looked solid. I'll review the tape again this week to get a better look.

6 comments:

1stHill said...

Thomas seems to be a great ball hawk. I defiantly think he is better than Taylor Mays. Thomas played great against Okalahoma earlier this year, the guy was making plays all over the field.

Another great ball hawking player is 6-1 197 lbs FS Raheem Moore of UCLA. I’m not sure if he is a red shirt sophomore or a true sophomore, so I don‘t know if he is eligible to declare for the draft. Moore has 9 inceptions and 7 passes broken up so far this year. I was surprised earlier this year when Moore outplayed Eric Berry during the UCLA vs. Tennessee game. A lot of people compare Eric Berry to Ed Reed, but I think Raheem Moore & Earl Thomas are much more like Ed Reed than is Berry.

bob said...

I'll take some slow DIII player with no skills over Taylor Mays. At least that way we won't have to waste a draft pick on a guy who will be overrated and underproductive from where he'll be drafted.

Chris (Seattle) said...

Hey Rob. I must say I'm extremely happy there seems to be more and more Safety talent emerging in this year's draft class. I'm slightly higher on Berry than you are, but that is simply because I believe NFL coaches can get him to wrap-up better when he tackles. However, the Seahawks still have some work to do if they wish to pick high enough to take Berry. I was looking at Scout.com's current college player rankings (it's mainly just seniors at this point until more underclassman can officially declare), and they have three safeties currently with a 5 star rating: Taylor Mays, Darrell Stuckey of Kansas, and Kameron Chancellor of Va Tech. I was wondering what info you had on Stuckey and Chancellor? They're two players I do not know much about, but Scout seems to think highly of them.

Timshorts said...

The Rams win will mess up our chances to get Berry, I suspect. I'd avoid Mays. I don't even see him as a legitimate first rounder on what I have seen of him this season. Yes, he hits hard, but how many 15 yard personal foul penalties do you want from your SS each season. No thanks.

www.muebles-en-tarragona.com said...

Quite useful information, much thanks for this post.

contactos madrid said...

I completely agree with everything you have printed here.