Thursday 26 November 2009

Thanksgiving mock drafts

I've had an incredibly busy schedule this week and will be heading south again tomorrow for another weekend of broadcasting on the coast. It'll mean the blog could be quiet on Friday and early Saturday, but I've got six games set to record over the next three days, including Notre Dame at Stanford, Florida State at Florida and Clemson at South Carolina. I'll watch two of the games on Saturday when I complete another five hour car drive home, so expect some reaction by the evening. I'm also working on a new mock draft which should be available next week. In the meantime, here are some updated mock drafts and happy Thanksgiving to everyone.

Rob Rang makes his weekly prediction, sending Russell Okung (OT, Oklahoma State) and Jonathan Dwyer (RB, Georgia Tech) to Seattle. I've not been impressed with Dwyer when I've watched him this year, he looks like he's added too much weight and become heavy. I would be surprised if he went in the first round. Okung is also a bit over rated and Rang himself sums him up perfectly: "steady, if unspectacular". With Derrick Morgan still on the board in that situation, picking ninth overall, it'd be hard to pass.

Walter Cherepinsky also updates his mock draft. He continues to predict Seattle will take Bruce Campbell (OT, Maryland). To quote Cherepinsky: "Walter Jones has been placed on IR, and while Sean Locklear has held up well recently, he's way too unreliable. Locklear has missed 10 games in the past season and a half, and he's bound to get injured again sooner or later." Taking that into consideration, would the Seahawks really want to replace the afore-mentioned Jones and Locklear with a guy who this year alone has missed three games with turf toe and even more with an MCL injury? It won't happen.

Chad Reuter has Seattle taking Okung and C.J. Spiller: "The Hawks desire a game-breaker at the running back position, and Spiller fits that bill." I think this is an under played need for the Seahawks. Yes - the defensive line is creating no pass rush and the offensive line needs an upgrade. But the team in general lacks the kind of playmaking qualities Spiller would provide - especially breakaway speed. If he runs as well as expected at the combine, I'm not sure he'll last to the 24th overall pick.

Draft Tek's sophisticated software has calculated a new consensus mock. The Seahawks take local favorite Jake Locker (QB, Washington) and Derrick Morgan (DE, Georgia Tech). I haven't had any access to Washington games this year so it's hard for me personally to offer an opinion on Locker, although I have a hunch that he won't declare for the 2010 draft. Morgan is great value later in the first round and getting Jahvid Best (RB, California) with the Seahawks third pick is a steal.

3 comments:

1stHill said...

Rob, can you give us a scouting report on OC Maukice Pouncy (Florida) and Mike Pouncy (Florida). The Pouncy twins are both juniors, and due to the lack of quality offensive lineman in the 2010 draft, there is a good chance they will declare for the draft. They are both considered possible 1st round prospects.

1stHill said...

Me again, I forgot to say that Mike Pouncy is a OG for Florida.

Rob Staton said...

I've got Florida vs Florida State recorded, so no problem at all. I'll have something on the blog as soon as I've gone through the tape.