Thursday 25 March 2010

"Player of The Day" series update

By Kip Earlywine
We are now about a month away from the 2010 NFL draft. In that draft, 255 amateur players will be drafted by NFL teams. To this point, I've covered a mere 26 of them. Optimistically, I can hope to maybe cover 20 more before draft day, that works out to about 5 per week. So be sure to keep checking out the site, as I'll be cranking out player previews until we reach the finish line!

Because I can only cover so many players, I'm going to focus mainly on prospects that figure to be taken between picks #14 and #127 (4th rounder from Philly). In particular, I'm going to be looking at zone oriented offensive linemen, corners who are at least six feet tall, CB/FS hybrids, strong safeties, and wide receivers, because I think those positions have the strongest chance of being considered by Seattle in rounds 2-4 (RB will be strongly considered too- but I've already covered several RBs).

Nothing is set in stone, but here are some of the players I am more likely to cover. Prospects with easily obtained footage are more likely to be chosen:

Cornerbacks (six foot plus):

Brandon Ghee
Donovan Warren (CB/FS)
Chris Cook (CB/FS)
Jerome Murphy (CB/FS)
Myron Lewis (CB/FS)

Strong Safeties:


Chad Jones
Reshad Jones
Larry Asante
Myron Rolle
Harry Coleman
Barry Church
Lucien Antoine (requested, but unlikely)

Non-1st round tackle prospects:

Jason Fox
Roger Saffold
Tony Washington
Selvish Capers
Ed Wang

Interior linemen:


Jon Asamoah
Zane Beadles
Mike Johnson (a whopping 6'6", but perhaps worth a look)
Sergio Render
Shawn Lauvao
J.D. Walton (center/guard)
Jeff Byers (center/guard)
Eric Olsen (center/guard)
Maurkice Pouncey (center/guard)

Wide Receiver:

Carlton Mitchell
Demaryius Thomas
Riley Cooper
Marcus Easley
Jordan Shipley

Running Backs:

Joe McKnight (by request)

QB (somewhat unlikely I'll cover these):


Sam Bradford (extra unlikely)
Jimmy Clausen (unlikely)
Tim Tebow (more likely)
Sean Canfield (by request)

Special teams players (very unlikely I'll cover these):


Javier Arenas
Akwasi Owusu-Ansah
Jacoby Ford (requested, but unlikely)

***
As far as real scouting reports go, we have Kyle Rota already busting them out, but I decided I will do some real scouting reports, AFTER the draft. If I can finagle 4 game tapes (or torrents) per player, I'll give a detailed breakdown of each future Seahawk, as time allows, after the draft.

7 comments:

Gold said...

As a Michigan fan, I highly recommend looking at Donovan Warren (as you plan to). He's getting absolutely slammed due to bad combine numbers, but he was a 5 star recruit just 3 years ago and was a rock of the UM defense as soon as he stepped on campus. I think he'd be an incredible bargain in the later rounds. Good tackler, above average cover man, lots of confidence.

I also saw an article somewhere in which Carroll used his Clausen schtick on him i.e. "I missed on you as a recruit, might not happen a 2nd time."

Hawktastic said...

Sounds great! Really looking forward to the post-draft analysis! There isn't enough of that to be found on a player by player basis. You guys here at SDB are the greatest!

Anonymous said...

Thank you for looking up Carlton Mitchell. He is a prospect that really interests me.

Anonymous said...

Why do you have Akwasi Owusu-Ansah as a special teamer? He's 6-1 and I think he falls into the CB/FS hybrid role. He had a solid pro day as well as a combine. I think he is a player with tremendous upside.

Unknown said...

Kip,
I would be interested to hear your thoughts on Perish Cox the senior CB from Oklahoma State.

Kip Earlywine said...

I did a big mock draft before I joined SDB back in January. It was an insane time sink, probably 12+ hours to do picks 1-40 as accurately and as intelligently as possible. I still distinctly remember mocking Warren in the mid-late 1st round back then. Its insane how people are over-reacting to his combine. He's one of the few on that list I can guarantee will get a good look, and probably pretty soon.

Akwasi Owusu-Ansah as I've read is a competent CB/FS, and he does fit the 6 foot benchmark, but I've read he's better known for his return ability thanks to his blazing speed. He does have great upside. I might cover him, but there are a lot of players to cover.

I didn't include Perrish Cox because he's 5'11", but if the FO can get over that, he's a great fit for our needs and makes a lot of sense in round 4.

Anonymous said...

I'm curious to see the analysis on Zane Beadles, I've heard a little about him, and that he can play both guard and tackle.