Tuesday 24 March 2009

Tuesday links

Chad Retuer has published a new three round mock draft for CBS Sportsline. He keeps Jason Smith (OT, Baylor) at number four going to Seattle. There's a surprise in round two with Clay Matthews Jr. (LB, USC) falling to the Seahawks and Darcel McBath (S, Texas Tech) arriving in round three.

Walter Cherepinsky
has also updated his latest mock draft. He still thinks Seattle will take Michael Crabtree (WR, Texas Tech) with the fourth pick. Patrick Chung (S, Oregon) is picked up in round two with Troy Kropog (OT, Tulane) the third round choice.

Chris Sullivan looks at Utah defensive back Sean Smith. Sullivan reports he's scheduled for a visit with the Seahawks this week, as is Wake Forest linebacker Aaron Curry. "The first thing that jumps out at you about Sean Smith is that he's gigantic. Standing at 6'3"+ he would instantly please all those Ruskell critics who are willing to be pleased" - Chris Sullivan.

Steve Wyche reports from the Wake Forest pro-day for the NFL Network. It's another chance for Aaron Curry to impress scouts ahead of April 25th. Corner back Alphonso Smith was also hoping to impress after getting mixed reviews at the combine. I spoke to a Patriots fan last week who is hoping New England take him in round one.

Mike Mayock lists his top five outside linebacker prospects. Curry is the obvious choice at number one, but interestingly Mayock has Brian Orakpo listed at number two. Peter King linked Orakpo to Seattle yesterday, but they'd have to be sold on his ability to be an elite 4-3 defensive end.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would be satisfied with Retuer's Mock. I like Clay Matthews and feel he'd be a great pick in the 2nd.

Anonymous said...

I like Walter's draft A LOT but I noticed he has the 49ers taking Mark Sanchez. I could be wrong, but I'm fairly sure I've heard that they aren't interested in a QB. I personally think Jacksonville might take him (and I think that would be a good fit). I love us taking Crabtree and Chung though. Unless we trade up from the 2nd to get Moreno (albeit unlikely) I like Chung as our #2 pick

Unknown said...

I would not be happy with Reteur's mock at all personally. This team needs a weapon or 2 for the offense in the first 3 picks. One of the good WR's or running backs, or even one of each

Can I just say that I would cry tears of joy if we traded for Philly's 2 first rounders for #4, and turned those picks into Moreno/Wells and H. Nicks/K. Britt. Oh my god, that would be a dream for me.

Unknown said...

Wes...I too love that scenario! IF we could land Moreno and either of those WR's, I'd go nuts!

Here's to hoping...

Old School said...

I agree with Walter Cherepinsky's analysis. The Seahawk offense is in a 2 or 3 year window, after which it will have to be totally rebuilt. Walter Jones, Matt Hasselback, TJ Housh, Deion Branch, Julius Jones, Nate Burleson, etc, will all be retired or too old to be effective when the window closes. Therefore, the Seahawks must find someone to be an immediate playmaker, not someone to groom for the future. If Stafford falls to them, it would be a one-time shot to pick up a grade-A QB, but he wouldn't play for two years. They would trade down if that happens. An OT would have to start at guard until Walter retires. Curry would be a day-one starter, and Crabtree would supercharge the offense, so it will probably be the WR or the LB.

Old School said...

...and, they would have to pick a RB in round 2 or 3.